[WikiEN-l] Reactions to blocking

Leif Knutsen vyer at earthlink.net
Tue May 10 20:00:01 UTC 2005

> Timwi wrote:
>Yes, but isn't that all the more reason to assume that we won't de-admin
>two long-time trusted contributors just to save one contributor whom we
>don't even know? I just don't get why so many newbies instantly think
>that they're the most valuable Wikipedian ever born and that established
>admins must leave to make room for them.

I don't believe I ever expressed or implied that I was the most valuable wikipedian ever born, nor that everything will fall apart as a result of my departure.  But I would submit that the entire enterprise depends on people like me, and that it's not a good idea to piss us off unnecessarily.

As for being a newbie, I have 2400 edits under my belt - a tenth of yours but still respectable, if I may say so myself.  I'll admit it was the first time I was ever blocked, so in that sense I am new to the experience.  It would have taken you a couple of minutes to find out who I was and what I'd done, so don't complain that you don't know me.

I do think that complaints against admins should be taken seriously.  Nobody should be de-admined because of one editor's grievances, but if there's a pattern of bad and borderline abusive behavior, action should be taken.