[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia widget for new Macintosh OS release

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Mon May 9 05:26:11 UTC 2005

On 5/7/05, Sheldon Rampton <sheldon at prwatch.org> wrote:
> Unfortunately, the WikityWidget only supports the CamelCase link
> style, and I think Wikipedia's syntax is much more powerful and
> flexible.
>
> It would be great if someone could develop a WikityWidget-like tool
> that supports the Wikipedia syntax. I've been using a local
> installation of MediaWiki on my laptop to keep various notes for my
> personal use, but it would be easier to have the same functionality
> available on my dashboard. Also, it would help to further popularize
> the Wikipedia syntax, which I'd like to see become the basis for a
> standard wiki syntax even outside of MediaWiki.

No kidding. I find myself taking notes in text editors and separating
new sections with =='s and bolding things with apostrophes. I think if
someone made a robust and simple personal database creator of this
sort -- which one could also store files in and categorically index --
it would be a great boon to us all.

I wonder how hard it would be? The most difficult time would be
putting something together that did a good job of blending the coding
and viewing aspects of it -- in a personal environment I think a
program that made you "submit" a form would be tedious. You could get
around it with simple tabs, I suppose, but it would be even more
amazing if one could both apply and code  in Wiki syntax in realtime.
Oh, but to dream...

FF