[WikiEN-l] Abuse of your services

Sean Barrett sean at epoptic.org
Sun May 8 03:35:50 UTC 2005

slimvirgin at gmail.com stated for the record:

> Sean, I've asked three or four times if anyone can point me to any
> part of Wikipedia policy that states or implies that Usenet is an
> acceptable source, and so far, no one has done so. My understanding of
> the policy pages (e.g. WP:NOR) is that it's not, and I sent you a link
> to the section that seems to back me up. It doesn't mention Usenet
> explicitly, but the description of what type of source is acceptable
> would definitely exclude it. I'd say you're the one operating on the
> basis of your opinion only, not me. But if I'm wrong, show me.

Policy does not list what is allowed, it lists what is prohibited.  In
other words, if it is not explicitly forbidden, it is permitted.  That's
the only way policy could ever work!

Challenge: show me where it is explicitly stated that articles on naval
vessels are permitted.  You can't.  Does that mean they're prohibited?

Since there is nothing in policy stating "Usenet is off-limits," its use
is allowed.

--
  Sean Barrett     | It is lovely to watch the coloured
  sean at epoptic.com | shadows on the planets of eternal light.