[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia widget for new Macintosh OS release

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Sat May 7 18:28:36 UTC 2005

I see that someone has already written a Wikipedia widget for the
dashboard on the new OS X 10.4 ("Tiger") release for the Macintosh:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/dashboard/wikipedia.html

In a related development, someone else has written "WikityWidget," a
widget that lets Mac users create their own personal wiki that runs
locally on their computer:

http://inkspotting.com/wikity/

Unfortunately, the WikityWidget only supports the CamelCase link
style, and I think Wikipedia's syntax is much more powerful and
flexible.

It would be great if someone could develop a WikityWidget-like tool
that supports the Wikipedia syntax. I've been using a local
installation of MediaWiki on my laptop to keep various notes for my
personal use, but it would be easier to have the same functionality
available on my dashboard. Also, it would help to further popularize
the Wikipedia syntax, which I'd like to see become the basis for a
standard wiki syntax even outside of MediaWiki.

--Sheldon Rampton