[WikiEN-l] Abuse of your services

Sean Barrett sean at epoptic.org
Fri May 6 18:16:22 UTC 2005

slimvirgin at gmail.com stated for the record:

> On 5/6/05, David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
>
> David, I take your point about him, but I've tried to make it clear
> that I'm not arguing about the individual, but about policy. Our
> secondary sources have to be authoritative, reliable, credible, and in
> some sense reputable. We can use Usenet as a source about itself,
> including as a source about its awards, but we can't use it to name
> individuals, because that's using Usenet as a source for claims about
> that person's notability. He isn't notable except in Usenet terms.
> Please see Mperel's argument about naming schoolgirls who've been
> labeled sluts at such-and-such a school, on that school's page. It's a
> very good analogy, yet we wouldn't dream of doing it.

We do, however, use the Web as a secondary source to judge notability,
and this kook is all over the Web.  Even if nothing else about him were
notable, the number of ISPs who have canceled his accounts for abuse is
remarkable.

If the administrations of numerous high schools across the country all
went on record stating that a particular schoolgirl had to be kicked out
of all their schools because of her slutty behavior, I would more than
"dream of" publishing that information, I'd be getting into
edit-conflicts trying to be the first to add that information to Wikipedia.

--
  Sean Barrett     | Disclaimer: We have no wish to
  sean at epoptic.com | offend you unless you're a twit.