[WikiEN-l] Slate: "Wikipedia is a real-life Hitchhiker's Guide: huge, nerdy, and imprecise."

Viajero viajero at quilombo.nl
Thu May 5 20:27:32 UTC 2005

Wikipedia is a real-life Hitchhiker's Guide: huge, nerdy, and imprecise.

By Paul Boutin
Posted Tuesday, May 3, 2005, at 2:37 PM PT

It's too bad Douglas Adams wasn't able to see his vision brought to
life. I don't mean the so-so movie version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy. I'm talking about Wikipedia, the Web's own don't-panic guide
to everything.

The parallels between The Hitchhiker's Guide (as found in Adams'
original BBC radio series and novels) and Wikipedia are so striking,
it's a wonder that the author's rabid fans don't think he invented time
travel. Since its editor was perennially out to lunch, the Guide was
amended "by any passing stranger who happened to wander into the empty
offices on an afternoon and saw something worth doing." This anonymous
group effort ends up outselling Encyclopedia Galactica even though "it
has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate."

Adams actually launched his own onlin guide before he died in 2001, but
it was, he wrote, "still a little like the fossil record in that it
consists almost entirely of gaps." Wikipedia is a colossal
improvement—it's just like the fictional Hitchhiker's Guide, only
nerdier. Wikipedia is the Web fetishist's ideal data structure: It's
free, it's open-source, and it features a 4,000-word exegesis of Dune.

For decades, software-makers competed to build complex collaboration
systems. These high-end tools, like Lotus Notes, let companies specify
who can edit which documents and establish complex approval procedures
for changes. In 1995, software researcher Ward Cunningham destroyed the
hierarchies by designing a site, the WikiWikiWeb, that anyone could dit.
(Wiki-wiki means "quick quick" in Hawaiian. Cunningham saw it on a
Honolulu Airport bus.)

Wikipedia, with more than 1 million entries in at least 10 languages, is
the mother of all wikis, but there are also wikis devoted to quotations,
the city of Seattle, and Irish politics. (Check out this wiki of wikis,
which lists more than 1,000 sites.) Instead of enforcing rules, wikis
trust that groups can behave. Anyone can edit or reorganize their
contents. If you realize something's missing, incomplete, or incorrect,
you can fix it yourself without asking permission. "People told me that
the experience changed their lives," Cunningham said via e-mail.

Don't expect Wikipedia to change your life, though, unless you've
secretly longed to be an encyclopedia editor. Just because you give
everyone read and write permissions doesn't mean everyone will use them.
Wiki lovers argue that they are collaborative, self-correcting, living
documents that evolve to hold the sum of all the knowledge of their
users. But, like blogging, editing the Net's encyclopedia appeals to a
small, enthusiastic demographic.

Like the Guide's lengthy entries on drinking, Wikipedia mirrors the
interests of its writers rather than its readers. You'll find more on
Slashdot than The New Yorker. The entry for Cory Doctorow is three times
as long as the one for E.L. Doctorow. Film buffs have yet to post a page
on Through a Glass Darkly; they're too busy tweaking the seven-part
entry onTron.

But excessive nerdiness isn't what's keeping Wikipedia from becoming the
Net's killer resource. Accuracy is. In a Wired feature story, Daniel
Pink (kind of) praised the hulking encyclopedia by saying you can
"[l]ook up any topic you know something about and you'll probably find
that the Wikipedia entry is, if not perfect, not bad." But don't people
use encyclopedias to look up stuff they don't know anything about? Even
if a reference tool is 98 percent right, it's not useful if you don't
know which 2 percent is wrong. The entry for Slate, for instance, claims
that several freelance writers are "columnists on staff" and still lists
Cyrus Krohn as publisher months after the Washington Post Co.'s Cliff
Sloan took over.

Just because the Wikipedia elves will probably fix those errors by the
time you read this article doesn't mean that the system is inherently
self-healing. Not everyone who uses a wiki wants to hit from both sides
of the plate. The subset of enthusiastic writers and editors is orders
of magnitude smaller than the group of passive readers who'll never get
around to contributing anything.

Bashing Wikipedia is nearly as risky as bashing Scientology. I know that
I'm going to get barraged by the Wikivangelists—"If an entry's wrong,"
they'll say, "stop complaining about it and fix it." But if I were truly
conscientious, I'd have to stop and edit something almost every time I
use Wikipedia. Most people are like Douglas Adams' characters—we
resolvefirmly to stay and fix it after work then forget the whole
episode by lunchtime. Wikipedia is a good first stop to get the basics
in a hurry, especially for tech and pop culture topics that probably
won't ever make it into Britannica. I'm just careful not to use it to
settle bar bets or as source material for an article. I made that
mistake exactly once.

Wikis are a great way to collect group knowledge, but not every
reference book in the galaxy will turn into one. A couple of weeks ago,
online reports claimed that Microsoft's Encarta decided to wikify its
paltry 42,000 entries. Encarta's Editorial Director Gary Alt told me
that the truth is prosaic. Readers will be able to submit suggested
corrections or improvements to existing entries, but Encarta is not
looking for new entries, and the editors will still decide what's worth
including.

An elitist encyclopedia like Encarta will never be able to match the
breadth or speed of a user-edited reference library, but it's smart to
coax readers into helping stretch its inherent advantage—reliability.
Alt told me he's hiring all of six people to review and research reader
submissions. Unlike the editor of The Hitchhiker's Guide, they'll
probably be eating lunch at their desks.

Related in SlateLast year, Clive Thompson asked if an online crowd could
write a novel. In January, Jack Shafer said that blogs need a little
time to catch up to the hype.

Paul Boutin is a Silicon Valley writer who spent 15 years as a software
engineer and manager.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2117942/