[WikiEN-l] ArbCom - too attached to 'equal treatment'?

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 7 16:45:07 UTC 2005

>From: David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>
>
>Tony Sidaway wrote:
>>JAY JG said:
>
>>>Actually, you are incorrect; there are obvious ArbCom cases right now
>>>that  no-one is willing to bring before ArbCom.
>
>>Make an evidence page.
>

>Or rather, make it a Request For Comment.

I've done one user-related Request for Comment.  The evidence for placed in
it for violations of policy (particularly around personal attacks) were so
obvious that if they had been used in a RfAR, they would have undoubtedly
warranted at least a month block.  Yet the RfC was itself turned into a
two-way trial, with partisans on his side, and his buddies, lining up and
complaining about me ("e.g. true, he called you an asshole etc. but you
provoked him by reverting his edit, so you're both equally guilty").  This
of course is not how RfCs are supposed to be used, but it was justified on
the basis that other people had done it in other RfCs.  In the end nothing
came of it, and the effort was mostly wasted, because the person in question
did not modify his behaviour in the slightest, and when it came to the
inevitable RfAR months later (after which the person in question was banned
for over a year), none of the evidence presented in the RfC was even
considered.

In my experience (and as I've said before on this list) people-related RfCs
do no good whatsoever, and are simply a necessary bit of bureaucracy one
must slog though in order to prepare for the real event, ArbCom.

Jay.