[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia is *already* written from a scientific POV

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Jun 30 21:51:27 UTC 2005

Haukur Þorgeirsson wrote:

>There are many people who disagree with this. We try to
>describe their positions fairly in separate articles,
>e.g. [[Creationism]]. The article on creationism may
>try to be scrupulously fair to the creationists but the
>bottom line is that Wikipedia has *already* acknowledged
>the scientific facts as superior to the creationist
>theories (at least the "Young Earth" variety) by
>including them in main articles like [[Earth]].
>
>Including [[Creationism]] in [[Category:Pseudoscience]]
>is just icing on a cake that has already been baked.

It's particularly foul-smelling icing, though.  NPOV certainly is
compatible with not giving minority or conspiracy-theory opinions undue
weight by inserting them everywhere or making them seem as if they're
mainstream, but at the same time outright name-calling is a little
inappropriate.  Saying, as Wikipedia, that Creationism is pseudoscience
is across the line of good taste I think.  Not mentioning the
young-earth theory in the intro to [[Earth]] may imply that we judge it
as not being a serious scientific position, but outright saying
"Creationism is a load of horse-shit" is a little more inappropriate.

-Mark