[WikiEN-l] Pseudoscience and pseudohistory

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Jun 30 18:44:51 UTC 2005

Haukur Þorgeirsson wrote:

>>No matter how many people you can convince that listing Article X under
>>[[Category:Pseudoscience]] does /not/ mean that Wikipedia takes the
>>stance that Topic X is a pseudoscience, the vast majority will assume
>>that it does.
>>
>>And that is why people are complaining about those categorisations.
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>Maybe the only way out of this is to call the categories something
>>unwieldy-but-NPOV like [[Category:Theories or beliefs widely considered
>>pseudoscience]]...
>>

>Once again. Do you object to [[Holocaust denial]]
>being in the [[Pseudohistory]] category? Would you
>prefer to have something "NPOV" like [[Category:Theories
>or beliefs widely considered pseudohistory]]?

Yes.  Some neutral title like [[Category:Non-mainstream historical
claims]] or [[Category:Non-mainstream historical theories]] would be
much better.

Although on a larger level, I'm not convinced using any of these labels
is superior to not using them at all.  Is [[Atlantis]] under
[[Category:Pseudohistory]]?  What about [[The Bible]]?

-Mark