[WikiEN-l] Re: Proposal: Requests for rollback

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Thu Jun 30 16:47:01 UTC 2005

David 'DJ' Hedley wrote:
> I don't believe that it is necessary. A rollback button is useful, but I
> don't see why it is worth a "Requests for Rollback" to get it. If a user
> does RC patrol and wants the aid of rollback (ie, 'the mop'), then they
> probably would prefer full admin powers in order to be able to block
> vandals, and so on. Being an admin doesn't have many set, 'must do'
> responsibilities - RC patrollers can happily become admins without further
> hassles, if they want to keep out of Wikipolitics.

If only it was as easy to become admin as you're making it out to be!

The current situation seems to be that the people who frequent
[[Wikipedia:Requests for adminship]] are quite paranoid with giving out
adminship status. Anyone who isn't obviously completely dedicated and
who doesn't think of nothing else than Wikipedia's well-being day and
night, can't possibly be a suitable admin.

I especially don't get why most people seem to think that someone with a
minimum number of edits and/or a minimum average number of edits per day
is automatically a more suitable admin. I would think that someone who
edits frantically is much more likely to turn into a troublemaker than
someone who edits only sporadically.

Timwi