[WikiEN-l] New user, blocked indefinitely?

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 17:05:21 UTC 2005

On 29/06/05, Kurita Ryohan <kurita77lineman at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Will someone PLEASE explain to me what is going on? I can't understand why
> you people are acting this way.

A sockpuppet is another user account operated by the same user, under
the pretence it's a second person.

(For example, consider I'm arguing with you, and a new person appears
on my side. On the internet, it's quite difficult to tell, with no
"history", if that person is actually someone who agrees with me, or
just myself pretending to be someone else. It's surprisingly common)

There are special technical process (I don't understand them either, I
confess...) to attempt to figure out if two usernames are being used
by the same person; David's comment about "checkuser" means that he's
looking into that.

Note Habj's comment: these things do take a bit of time, people are
volunteers and will do things when they have a spare moment.

My apologies if you've been blocked accidentally; if so, it'll
probably be resolved, but not immediately - again, these things take
time.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk