[WikiEN-l] Copyright and Britannica Article List

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 28 18:13:39 UTC 2005

Judges are indeed unpredictable.  Success can often depend on the whims
of court scheduling.  What I find in the popular view of law is a clear
violation and a clear penalty with no intermediate steps or grey areas
in between.  In reality there are several steps between an allegedly
infringing act and an appelate court decision.  At each step along the
way our position must be reevaluated.  I think that the reasonable doubt
about the copyrightability of the Britannica list should take us through
the first step.  If a take down order is issued, that's when we would
need to review the matter.

Whether the Britannica list is worthless for our purposes is debatable.
When I started I would look at our software generated most wanted list
to see if anything there interested me, and I started a number of
articles that way.  I can see the EB list being used that way,
especially by newbies.  The list just shows what we don't have; it does
not suggest that the potential contributor seek out the Britannica
article.  If instead it inspires someone to research an otherwise
obscure historical personage, then we all benefit.

Ec