[WikiEN-l] Rights at Wikipedia (was: Silly mailing lists)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Jun 28 13:58:36 UTC 2005

Responding to:

-> <sarcasm> Way to go, Wikipedia! Good job
-> treating volunteer editors who are simply
-> standing up for their rights like criminals. </sarcasm>

It's a common mistake to assert that anyone has rights at Wikipedia.
Aside from the technical matter of "sysop rights", Wikipedia grants no
rights whatsoever.

Wikipedia is a volunteer organization, and I think I speak for the
English part of that organization when I say that volunteers here have
no rights or privileges. Wikipedians have only duties, voluntarily
assumed.

Our duty as volunteers is to create a free encyclopedia filled with
accurate, neutral articles for the benefit of the general public.

Anyone is welcome to join us, as long as they come to help us create
this kind of encyclopedia. Others will be shown to the door.

Ed Poor