[WikiEN-l] Re: Copyright and Britannica Article List

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 25 18:01:08 UTC 2005

MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:

>On 6/25/05, Timwi <timwi at gmx.net> wrote:
>

>>DF wrote:
>>

>>>there is an ongoing discussion of whether EB holds a
>>>copyright in the list of articles itself.
>>>

>>I've asked this back when I did the Columbia list, and I didn't get a
>>response, but I'll ask the same question again now: Why don't we just
>>ask them if they're okay with it?
>>

>I was about to ask the same thing in my post, but I somehow forgot.

And if they don't answer, but simply complain to the media instead?
Given their regular habit of bad-mouthing us in the press, I'm not keen
on handing them an opportunity they can spin into "Look, Wikipedia is
blatantly copying all of our articles." With Brockhaus, where we have
established contacts and a more amicable relationship, I might view it
differently.

--Michael Snow