[WikiEN-l] Requests for adminship reform

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Fri Jun 24 23:41:52 UTC 2005

MacGyverMagic/Mgm (macgyvermagic at gmail.com) [050625 04:10]:

> IMO large majorities tell us, a lot of users have seen them around and
> agree the particular person being voted for is doing a good job and
> can be trusted with admin powers.

Seconded. That's also why those nominated by someone else usually get a LOT
more votes than self-nominations.

> Admin mentorship is a nice idea. I would certainly help new admins get
> their footing, but I'm afraid it takes time away from what admins
> should really be doing. Fighting vandalism, deleting nonsense and
> generally keeping things running.

In practice, most new admins will know other admins and be able to
sanity-check with them. I recommend this highly.

(My main advice for new admins is "Patience, young Jedi.")

> Finally, I think we should encourage people voting for adminship to
> tell their reasons. That avoids "me too" votes and forces oppose
> voters to explain themselves so others can seriously consider the
> points they make.

Support votes are pretty self-explanatory - "I think they'll do well."
There often isn't much to add. Oppose votes are a different sort of thing.

But the message you're responding to is a good one with many good points to
ponder.

- d.