[WikiEN-l] Content, reason and the ArbCom

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Jun 23 00:11:33 UTC 2005

JAY JG wrote:

> Sigh.  Until 40 years ago or so the word "Colored" for
> "African-American" was used near-universally in the United States, and
> was seen as "neutral" as well.  Before that the neutral and
> near-universally used term was "Negro".  They're now seen as
> offensive, though I'm sure some older users of the terms see (or saw)
> their replacements as "nonsense" and a "POV lobby".  Regardless, I
> imagine that none of the members of this list would use those terms
> today, and there are many other examples of this kind of thing (e.g.
> "Mohammedan"->"Moslem"->"Muslim").

Despite the current fad for the term "African-American" neither the
United Negro College Fund nor the National Association for the
Advancement of Colored People have seen fit to change the names of their
organizations.  I avoid the term "African-American" because a person's
citizenship is not apparent in his racial features, and I certainly
would not want to offend a non-citizen by calling him "American".  To me
there is something offensive about a herd instinct that requires me to
change my terminology to suit the whims and fashions of the day.

> Language changes, and English probably changes faster than most other
> languages; usages that were once thought neutral are now seen to
> contain inherent bias.  This has happened with other terms in the
> past, and may be happening with BC/AD today.

Language change is more complex than that.  We learn our terminology at
different times and different places.  Paramount is its need to continue
as an effective means of communication.  These formerly neutral terms
may still be neutral in another place, or with another segment of the
same society, or in different circumstances.  "Assuming good faith"
includes assuming that the person using a particular term does so
without intent to offend.  Only the context of his words will show the
difference.

Ec