[WikiEN-l] Re: RickK leaving: adminship has become much more than "no big deal" and that's poisonous

James D. Forrester james at jdforrester.org
Tue Jun 21 18:38:47 UTC 2005

On Tuesday, June 21, 2005 7:10 PM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>
wrote:

> If being an administrator is no big deal then removing that status
> should be no big deal as well.

Fatal exception: Parse error.

Getting to be a sysop is "no big deal" because it just means that you've
gained our trust, and almost everyone in the world could probably do that,
if they wished to do so. Thus, by removing sysop status means telling the
target that they have failed to live up to this oh-so-easy thing. It is, in
fact, an absolutely massive thing to do.

I can't see how this isn't absolutely obvious to everyone, really - perhaps
they live in non-Euclidian spaces? :-)

Yours,
--
James D. Forrester -- Wikimedia: [[W:en:User:Jdforrester|James F.]]

Mail: james at jdforrester.org | jon at eh.org | csvla at dcs.warwick.ac.uk
IM  : (MSN) jamesdforrester at hotmail.com