[WikiEN-l] *shakes head*

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 13:48:30 UTC 2005

What's the alternative -- start banning people indiscriminantly who
act anti-social? I can tell you, if you think people are hostile
now...

If you're getting sick of it, take a break for a week. Stop reading
the mailing list. Keep out of VFD. Etc. Because in a collective
project of this sort -- one which doesn't have the "entrance fee" that
a collective programming project does -- you're going to get nutzos
out the wazoo. There's no other way around it. Better be ready for it.
Better find ways to cope.

Either that, or leave in a huff. Whatever gets you through the day. I
don't think any of us are being paid for this -- we're here by choice.
So exercise it if you must. You'd be missed for a week or two and then
you'd be like all of the other Missing Wikipedians. This is not a
project about individual people or personalities, it is about
collective effort. We all do our part, and we're all replaceable. Even
Jimbo. That's why it is such an interesting and provocative idea. I
tell academics about this project -- academia being pretty much an
antithesis in many ways -- and they say (actual quote here), "That
sounds insane." They're right. That's why it's a good idea.

But be realistic about it. The more popular Wikipedia becomes, the
more newspaper and magazines it is covered in, the more it becomes a
big lightbulb in the forest drawing all sorts of bugs to it. Some of
them are good contributors. Some of them are not. There's no quick and
fair way to distinguish between the two, and dispensing admin justice
left and right is just going to end up with MORE people camping around
trying to disrupt things, not less.

There's a "Chinese proverb" I read somewhere which goes: "All people
are brothers. So expect trouble."

FF