[WikiEN-l] jguk case: amended FoF brought

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 16:53:39 UTC 2005

By the way, on this question in specific: I can't search the full Web
of Knowledge, apparently (I'm only getting the Web of Science), but it
seems in the results I am getting (and logically speaking) that "BC"
can stand for a lot of things besides a date usage, whereas BCE seems
to be primarily only used in designating eras. Additionally I'm having
a hard time telling if searches for "BC" don't also bring up articles
which use "BCE" as well.

Which indicates only that if one were to use a quantitative search for
these sorts of things (differentiating between one usage and another),
one has to make sure we understand how the engines in particular
function, as well as thinking about the queries in question (I've had
people give #s for Google Scholar searches which simply wouldn't give
the information they were trying to get, just because they weren't
thought out that well). There's also the bigger question about whether
quantity matters more than quality, but that's even harder to parse
out.

(In any event, I don't care either way. I don't think there needs to
be a universal policy on this; I think it should fall under the
English/American spellings clause. But alas..)

FF