[WikiEN-l] jguk case: amended FoF brought

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sun Jun 19 12:02:51 UTC 2005

I've noted that the proposed FoF 6 is trivially factually incorrect - it
only applies to US academia, and even then only a certain portion thereof.
It notably does not apply to e.g. UK academia. I've written a proposed FoF
6.01. Comments welcomed. (The sentence construction could almost certainly
do with improvement, for instance.)

FoF 6:

  6) "CE" or Common Era has recently come to be preferred among scholars and
  those who seek to avoid offense in inter-cultural dialog. "AD" spelled out
  in its full original form is Anno Domini Nostri Iesu Christi ("in the year
  of our Lord Jesus Christ) and thus potentially offensive, see research by
  El_C.

FoF 6.01:

  6.01) "CE" or Common Era has recently come to be preferred among certain
  portions of US academia and those who claim to seek to avoid offense in
  inter-cultural dialog. "AD" spelled out in its full original form is Anno
  Domini Nostri Iesu Christi ("in the year of our Lord Jesus Christ) and thus
  regarded by them as potentially offensive, see research by El_C. This does
  not necessarily hold elsewhere, e.g. in UK academia.

This sort of thing is why I am profoundly sceptical that content
arbitration will not be an utter, utter disaster and just another hammer to
use in pushing a POV.

- d.