[WikiEN-l] Re: WikiProjects overriding global guidelines?

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 15:32:43 UTC 2005

"Timwi" <timwi at gmx.net> wrote in message
news:d8l02r$h92$1 at sea.gmane.org...
[heavy snippage...this paragraph should be representative I hope]
> However, the Star Trek WikiProject has now randomly decided that this rule
> needs to go, and all articles on Star Trek episodes must have an extra
> parenthesis showing what series it's an episode of, even though most of
> the titles are unique as they are. Hence, [[Hide and Q]] is a redirect to
> [[Hide and Q (TNG episode)]], and all links to such pages unnessarily look
> like this: [[Hide and Q (TNG episode)|Hide and Q]].
> What is everybody's opinion on this?

For me, this goes to the "principle of least astonishment".

The titles of many episodes are common phrases. It is not unlikely that
someone might link to that phrase. It is a good thing that the default
target for such a link is **not** a TV episode which happens to use it.
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]