[WikiEN-l] Re: Discussion on English Wikipedia in languages other than English

David Friedland david at nohat.net
Tue Jun 14 07:37:05 UTC 2005

Angela,

I thought about precisely the situation you describe when I composed my
original message. Obviously someone who is trying to communicate with
users on a wiki that's in a language they don't command should be
welcomed in trying to communicate in whatever way they can.

My concern is with users who have demonstrated elsewhere that they have
a perfectly adequate command of written English but who deliberately
choose to not use English on certain article talk and Wikipedia project
pages.

Clearly, legislating against it is not popular here. But I think we
should discourage such behavior because it's clearly intentionally
exclusionary. There is a point at which good faith can longer be assumed.

For example, let's say a pair of editors repeatedly revert a change I
make to an article, then post some messages in a foreign language to the
article talk pages as well as to their own user talk pages and the "Xyz
Wikipedians' notice board". Some of these messages clearly contain my
user name.

How should one respond to something like that? By politely asking that
they translate their messages to English?

I'll start by posting machine translations and requesting that they be
cleaned up enough to be intelligible. I doubt I'll get very far, though,
because these editors are already on a campaign to defame me elsewhere
on Wikipedia.

Here's to assuming good faith! :-)

- David