[WikiEN-l] WikiProjects overriding global guidelines?

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 06:14:06 UTC 2005

This is a rather specific comment, but I heavily support this sort of
thing for works of fiction in general. I think making it VERY explicit
-- i.e. in the title of an article -- that a given description of
events is a work of imagination rather than some sort of factual
account is always a good idea. It would be easy enough to have the
link [[Hide and Q]] be a redirect to [[Hide and Q (TNG episode)]],
which it probably is, if there is no need for a disambig. But I
understand that might be the pet peeve of a historian!

One of the most humorous things I ever came across in Wikipedia edit
histories and talk pages -- I think in the article on [[Atomic
bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki]] -- was somebody who had, quite
earnestly and accidentally, used an image from "The Onion" as an
illustration (it was from their fake "old newspaper" style bits they
run, with a picture of the Nagasaki mushroom cloud and the headline
"U.S. BOMBS THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF JAPAN" or something like that).
Some discussion ensued over it being a good illustration when finally,
a week or so later, realized that "The Onion" is a humor magazine and
not actually a historical news source, and removed it. Embarassment
and apologies all around! Good reading for me, a year or two in the
future.

I don't present this as representative, but it is, in a sense, akin to
the confusion I'd hope to dispel. I realize, however, that my desire
to "mark" all cartoon characters with little badges of (cartoon
character) might be seen as some sort of horrible realist segregation
scheme... which it might be, honestly. Hmm.

FF