[WikiEN-l] Discussion on English Wikipedia in languages other than English

David Friedland david at nohat.net
Mon Jun 13 07:13:55 UTC 2005

I have noted an increase of discussion on English Wikipedia in languages
other than English lately. For now, I'll forgo naming languages and
listing particular offenders here.

Do we have a policy on this? Should we?

My opinion is that we should not allow or least sternly frown upon
discussion on the English Wikipedia in languages other than English.

Is this racist/anti-nationalist/Anglo-centric? I don't know. I like to
consider myself open-minded, but there is something very ominous to me
about discussions in foreign languages on the English Wikipedia. Of
course, probably the vast majority of such discussions are completely
innocuous, but the rest of us have no way of knowing that unless we know
what the discussions are about. There is little more frustating that
having a conversation (in some cases which is clearly about you) hidden
in plain sight.

Of course I am symphathetic to users whose first language is not English
and for whom discussing in English may be difficult. However, I am
hesitant to extend such sympathy to being permissive of non-English
discussion on the English Wikipedia, which is, after all, written in
English. In the cases I have seen, the editors who are discussing in a
foreign language have demonstrated elsewhere that they are competent
writers of English, so it seems especially pernicious when they "lapse"
into another language, as though they are hiding something.

The policy question is what to do about users who insist on carrying out
discussion on the English Wikipedia in languages other than English.
Users who discuss in other languages should be invited to translate
their discussion (and remove the discussion in the original language to
discourage responses in the original language) or have them removed. We
should not remove such discussions summarily, of course, but after a set
period of time given to the user to remove their discussion, informing
them on their user page, etc.

The policy should not apply to user pages and user talk pages, but
non-English discussion on those pages should at least be strongly
discouraged. It creates an atmosphere of distrust.

We don't permit articles in foreign languages, so why should we permit
discussion in foreign languages?

Please commence with the vilifying of me for being an insensitive
Anglo-centric asshole.

- David [[User:Nohat]]