[WikiEN-l] Strawman attacks on recent proposals

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 03:41:51 UTC 2005

--- Robert <rkscience100 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Folks, we still have a major problem. There are many people
> here who unfortunately refuse to cite sources, engage in
> original research, write things that are just false and
> bizarre.

And the ArbCom is already charged with enforcing all Wikipedia policies,
including those that are about content (such as NPOV, NOR, and Verifiability).
We have in fact ruled in this area several times before but have been usually
limited to cases that are fairly obvious.

Spotting subtle POV, original research, or fringe ideas masquerading as more
mainstream than they are takes a fair amount of pre-existing knowledge in the
relevant subject area. This is something that the current ArbCom could never
have.

Thus my idea of having vetted panels of respected users who have demonstrated
knowledge in certain areas that the ArbCom could call upon to help it
distinguish what is what.

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/RFC#Alternate_solution_.239_by_mav._Content_subcommittee

-- mav