[WikiEN-l] Arbitration Committee Seeking Comment

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 03:08:28 UTC 2005

>From: "steven l. rubenstein" <rubenste at ohiou.edu>
>
>Moreover, no one has mentioned "unpopular" content and Sean is just waving
>a red herring to distract us from a serious problem.  In one of my own
>messages -- here or at the project page -- I pointed out that one use of
>such a committee is to ensure that the content is being presented in an
>NPOV way, or to ensure that the sources are properly represented.

This turns out to be a non-trivial matter; I have run into several editors
who, whether willfully or otherwise, do not accurately present the material
that they are using as a source.  Specifically, they will present a POV, and
when challenged for a source, will cite a source.  When you actually read
the source you find that the information they have entered in the article
simply does not match the source they are citing.  One would think that this
is an easy problem to solve; yet some editors often seem rather insistent on
ensuring their POV is heard, regardless of whether or not they have a source
that accurately represents it, and are willing to war till the end of time
to get their way.

Jay.