[WikiEN-l] Pipermail Privacy Concern

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 23:56:25 UTC 2005

On 25/07/05, andyl2004 at sympatico.ca <andyl2004 at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit concerned because two wikien-l emails contained in the online archives at pipermail have my full name and I believe these pages have been "googled" in the past by individuals angry at the content of articles. I've been harassed as a result by two individuals in the past few months.

One problem here is that there are multiple places where these lists
are archived: as well as directly in the listserv's pipermail
directory, they are pushed through GMane, which archives them as well
as turning them into newsgroups:
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.english.

Who knows where else public copies might exist, and of course search
engine databases might already have spidered it and not be in any
hurry to remove it again....

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]