[WikiEN-l] Re: Writing with our readers in mind

J.F. de Wolff jfdwolff at doctors.org.uk
Sun Jul 10 20:28:25 UTC 2005

Concerning the complicated paragraph in [[Paracetamol]], I can name many
areas of Wikipedia where the science becomes so dense that the layman will
admit it sounds really good but fails to come any closer to understanding
the exact issues. Many mathematical articles stop making sense at some
point, and I admit that not every medical article is an exemplar of
lay-oriented clarity.

When initially starting WikiProject Clinical Medicine, we struggled with
this question. The decision was to escalate the level of difficulty, so all
relevant information would be covered. The lay reader would have to drop it
at some point, and none of the participants saw a great deal wrong with this.

This is not to say the paragraph in question cannot be improved upon.

JFW