[WikiEN-l] Shouldn't we kick paedophiles off Wikipedia? - No, we shouldn't.

Haukur Þorgeirsson haukurth at hi.is
Sat Jul 9 22:00:36 UTC 2005

> I agree, and this brings up the subject of Nazi wikipedians, or
> satanists, or communists and anarchists for that matter. People are
> allowed to be themselves, so long as it doesn't break a rule. Being
> these things isn't against our rules.

Well put, Jack. And besides, there's no way
we can stop paedophiles, nazis etc. from editing.
We could forbid them to state their bias on their
user page but that would be counterproductive.

Many people state their bias on their user page,
be it religious, political or more personal.
This is sometimes useful for other editors -
it can help to know where someone is coming
from.

Knowing someone is a paedophile, for example,
alerts others to places where she may be letting
her personal desires cloud her judgment.

Other people prefer to be as anonymous as
possible and give no personal information
on their user page to make sure that they
are judged entirely on the  merits of their
edits. That's fine too.

Regards,
Haukur