[WikiEN-l] Re: A Perhaps OT Post -- My Wikipedia Talk

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 08:37:58 UTC 2005

Geoff Burling a écrit:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Anthere wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the report Geoff :-) If you could upload (or link) your
>>presentation here (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Presentations), you
>>would be most welcome.
>>

> I'll try to get that done soon; since the files all fit into a 20Kb
> tarball, I just might upload it to meta.
>
> I found it noteworthy that there are so few records of Presentations
> in the US. Is it because none of us Americans know about this page
> (my defense), or that none of us have tried to give a formal talk
> about Wikipedia?

I might possibly dare say because many presentations in the usa are
handled by Jimbo ?
But in any cases, the page is not very well known yet. Not all
presentations are listed either (definitly not the last one I made in
english at least :-)), but it gives a good idea of who to ask when a new
presenter want to start from an existing presentation.

> In related news, I just received the latest copy of Linux Journal
> (August, 2005), & was happily surprised to read that LJ chose
> Wikimedia Foundation for its Editor's Choice Award in the category
> "Nontechnical or Community Web Site." Again, am I the only one who
> didn't know we were in the running? Has anyone written a press
> release?
>
> Geoff

I do not think I knew... No press release has been done and afaik, it is
not mentionned on the WMF site... If you write a little text, please
think of telling us :-)

Seriously, the fact is mostly we are getting so big... it is impossible
to know it all. Also, several awards, many big deadlines... lost the
excitement somewhere and fewer press releases were done recently. We hit
2 millions articles recently and I do not think anything was done. I do
not know if good or not good. In many countries, we are well known
enough not to feel so much the need to announce these types of events...
Still, it is important to document them... so that we have some
references to show journalists hungry of such details.

As usual, if some editors are motivated to do it, it will get done.
Otherwise it won't. Wiki way :-)

Ant