[WikiEN-l] more active censorship

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 22:54:27 UTC 2005

On 7/4/05, JAY JG <jayjg at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Turns out that people keep getting kicked out of the shop for a day for
> disruptive behaviour, and the doors are automatically locked and their 24
> hour ban is automatically renewed when the alarm system sees them trying to

This is silly. In addition to not being paper, wikipedia is not a china shop.

I'd agree with extending blocks if there were actual evidence of an
evasion, but hitting edit to see if you are still blocked or to see
the instructions related to being blocked is not an attempt at
evasion.

If we were instead to have an infectious block, where when a user is
blocked every IP they used while blocked is blocked in addition to the
IP they first used while blocked... and when an IP is blocked it
blocks every user that touches that IP.... At least then you could
claim the system was preventing evasion... although what a mess that
would make.