[WikiEN-l] The 3RR policy should not always be blindly followed

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 18 17:28:28 UTC 2005

JAY JG wrote

> I don't think the primary purpose of Wikipedia is to be a reformatory
where
> we gently train and cajole POV warriors into becoming fine upstanding NPOV
> encyclopedia editors; rather, I think its primary purpose is to create a
> great encyclopedia.

The community writes the 'pedia.  A 'great' community is actually quite well
characterised by its attitude to joiners.  Particularly, here, newbies with
other Internet experience who have something to say but are over-assertive
and edit 'in the wrong register'.

I can quite see that working at the coalface of current affairs can jade
one.  On the other hand WP is limited in what it can do about that.  There
are a few thousand other years of human history to consider, as well as a
huge range of other topics.  I think _policy_ should not primarily be led by
what are the echoes in WP of real world conflicts.

Charles