[WikiEN-l] Re: Writing about sexual topics responsibly is not censorship

Christiaan Briggs christiaan at last-straw.net
Mon Feb 14 10:04:05 UTC 2005

Nicholas Knight wrote:

> _*How is the image useful*_?

Um, it describes the act of autofellatio. That's about as useful as it
gets. Personally I'd rather we had a photo of a guy getting much of his
penis in his mouth.

> Can you give me a single example of a case where a PHOTOGRAPH of a
> sexual act is meaningfully more useful than a line drawing?

All cases I would have said. A photo shows actuality, a sketch can be
inaccurate.

>> If it's pertinent and not gratuitous, I don't tend to have a problem
>
> It IS gratuitious.

Heh, well many people probably think the act itself is gratuitous. It's
actually a pretty good picture, which says to me many people
complaining about this picture aren't complaining so much about the
picture but about the act.

> Most people do not want to see photographs of explicit sex acts when
> browsing an encyclopedia. Given the lack of educational value such
> images have, I see no reason to drive those people, including me, off
> with such images.

Where does this "most people" come from? You have some data I assume.

Christiaan