[WikiEN-l] Raulbot and sounds

Mark Pellegrini mapellegrini at comcast.net
Fri Feb 11 13:22:54 UTC 2005

I just thought everyone would like to know:

With Avar's help, I wrote a unix command line script to upload files to
Wikipedia (specifically, it's designed for uploading to commons, but
it's trivial to target it at a different project)

Using wget to fetch whole websites, and oggasm to concode
them into oggs, and the upload script to send them, I've been
using a bot to throw large numbers of files onto commons.

You can see the results from the first run here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sound/list (Look for files contributed by Raulbot)
and
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&target=Raul654

Not bad, huh? :)

A few things though. The next "victim" will be Oyez project, a project
that puts US Supreme Court recordings online. (Like the first site
I harvested, they're CC-by-SA).

I would like to see the upload limit on commons bumped up to 40 megs at least.
It's hard putting an entire SCOTUS argument file into 20 megs.

--Mark