[WikiEN-l] "Gift of knowledge:" having it both ways

Kwan Ting Chan ktc at ktchan.info
Fri Dec 30 21:42:38 UTC 2005

> MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
>
> >We should teach people to be critical.
> >Far too often people take what they read for granted without any
> >thought or double-checking. We should work to keep featured articles
> >accurate (because they're supposed to be the best). To get rid of
> >other inaccuracies we should look for sources. If we don't have any,
> >people should be naturally untrusting and try to verify the info
> >another way.
> >
> >NO ONE can guarantee absolutely correct info. Look at Britannica.
> >
> Teaching people to be critical is itself a process.  In all but the most
> advanced educational systems that is contrary to centuries of
> established habit.  Before a person can be effectively critical he needs
> to believe that his opinions matter.

The process isn't helped when most of the education system we have in
this world frown upon any student below postgraduate level from making
any opinion whatsoever. How can we teach a person to be effectively
critical when everyone else is saying you can't have your own opinion
unless you have a PhD (or are working on one), all you can do is
summarize what others have said already.

KTC

--
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite
you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.