[WikiEN-l] Ads on Wikipedia?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 00:08:18 UTC 2005

--- Ben Emmel <bratsche1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9075-1962714,00.html
>
> In an interview, Jimbo discusses the possibilities of ads eventually on the
> Wikipedia, due to the huge number of page views that we get.
>
> Also mentioned is the large-scale rejection of ads by the "wikitopeans"
> [sic] in the community.

The use of that non-word should be a good indication of the quality of the reporting.

All Jimmy did was state the blindingly obvious; that we are literally giving up millions of
dollars of potential revenue that could be used to further the foundation's goal of providing free
knowledge to everybody.

But *nothing* will happen w/o community consent. The community just needs to be fully informed of
all sides of the issue.

-- mav