[WikiEN-l] More work needed on wiki's Roman Salute article etc

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Dec 30 19:31:29 UTC 2005

Pointer Institute for Media Studies wrote:

> Wikipedia's Roman salute article has gained many improvements thanks
> to the work of the historian Rex Curry. But more work remains to be
> done and everyone can assist.  http://rexcurry.net/wikipedialies.html
> Also see http://rexcurry.net/wikipedia-lies.html

[3-page screen elided]

This entire line of argument makes some sense, but there seems to be a
blind reliance on "the historian Rex Curry" as whose work we ought to
treat as the Bible of The Roman Salute.  Is this warranted?  Is he the
only scholar who has written on the subject?  If not, what do other
historians who have written on the subject have to say?  Have Dr.
Curry's conclusions been commented on by others in the field, either
positively or negatively?  These are all things that must be known for
the article to be an accurate representation of modern consensus opinion
on the subject, rather than merely a summary of one historian's book.

-Mark