[WikiEN-l] Re: Merry Christmas from Daniel Brandt (David Gerard)

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 18:36:41 UTC 2005

Technically they are, of course, doing just that (and even worse at times --
one can often use the Wayback Machine to get free access to articles which
were posted by magazines and newspapers free for a limited amount of time
and then turned into paying-archival links). They even have a little bit
about it on their FAQ page saying they'll happily remove things which people
consider IP violations. Personally I think they are just fortunate that most
people don't know about them and it takes some rooting around to get content
out of them.

Don't get me wrong -- I think it's a wonderful service and an amazing tool.
But let's not claim that there isn't a major copyright issue with keeping
full-site archives of other people's content with the happy intent of making
it available even if the site itself has been taken down or turned into a
pay-for-content site. If its capabilities became well-known (and perhaps if
its servers weren't perpetually down!) they'd be served up DMCA takedown
requests every day, I reckon.

FF