[WikiEN-l] Please remove user data and talk pages from database dumps!

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 23:15:08 UTC 2005

> Bryan Derksen wrote:
> > But then there'd have to be a new separate database dump that _did_
> > include the user/talk pages. The purpose of the database dumps is not
> > just to allow someone to toss up a mirror of the current article
> > versions and make a few bucks from banner ads, it's to allow Wikipedia
> > as a whole to be researched or recreated or otherwise manipulated in
> > ways that can't be done just from the existing website. The user and
> > talk pages are important parts of how Wikipedia functions, they should
> > be available for historical reasons if nothing else.
>
> I think this is a reasonable solution.  What would be glorious would be
> to have a standard package to allow people to throw up mirrors easily
> and *properly*, including what we want them to include, and not
> including what we don't want them to include.
>
> --Jimbo
What are we supposed to do about Nazipedia, they're basically twisting
our words and still attributing those words to us. While separate
dumps would solve future problems it does nothing to address the issue
at hand.

I have no problem being on there, as long as they clearly state (VERY
clearly) it's a copy of Wikipedia and don't change anything about the
page.

Mgm