[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" images now allowed in userspace?

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Dec 29 20:24:19 UTC 2005

jkelly at fas.harvard.edu wrote:
> Nor is it clear to me that the desire to
> decorate ones userpage with official logos should be driving precedent.

Regarding at least the political templates, I would like to raise,
gently, a different issue.  I have concern about people massing together
in groups based on political affiliations at Wikipedia.

For me, when I enter Wikipedia, I try to leave my personal politics at
the door.  I try to leave my personal opinions about religion, etc. at
the door.  Here, I am a Wikipedian.  And this inspires in me a feeling
of serious quiet thoughtful reflection.  A mood of kindness and love.  A
mood of helpfulness and productivity.  Neutrality and _getting it right_
in the company of others who are doing the same, this is what I'm here for.

Outside, I may be an advocate.  But here, I am a Wikipedian.

--Jimbo