[WikiEN-l] Re: Brandt wishes to release personal details of all Wikipedia admins

Martin Osterman stonewallgrant at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 06:10:43 UTC 2005

Even though I'm not an admin, I'd like to offer some ideas on the matter.

The major idea I have would offer a modicum of security:  Wikipedia sets up
a POP server for admins and the admins have their e-mails run through the
server.  Their personal data, such as their name, is scrubbed if the Admins
wish it -- leaving only their handle on Wiki.  Changing code a bit could,
theoretically, screen their IPs so they were only visible to admins or
higher -- thus eliminating one method of tracking them down.

Unfortunately, the rest is up to the Admins themselves.  You can't stop
someone from collecting data about you that's freely available unless you
have evidence of malicious intent -- then the law can offer you protection.
Of course, in theory, a court order would shut down his website if it could
be proven that his actions were promoting illegal actions such as threats.
But again, legal actions are something you want to save as a last-ditch
effort since they take time and money and create a lot of publicity.

I don't know if this helps or not; I'm just a year-old editor on the project
who is concerned for the safety and security of all involved.  Brandt does
not seem to be someone who has anyone's best interests in mind but his own.

--Martin Osterman