[WikiEN-l] SPOV threatens NPOV

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Dec 22 11:05:03 UTC 2005

Karl A. Krueger wrote:

>It seems to me that the sides of this debate are somewhat talking past
>each other.

I think that I can read that comment as a step forward.  I found the
article that David Gerrard cited to be mostly quite good.  As Karla
McLaren says: "It is not merely, as many surmise, a conflict between
fact-based viewpoints and faith-based viewpoints. Nor is it simply a
conflict between rationality and credulity. No, it's a full-on clash of
cultures that makes real communication improbable at best."  To make her
point she did not once use the term "pseudoscience" in her article. Her
comments about how the skeptic community uses language are significant:

>     It's vital that a way be found to help people in my culture
>     question, think about, and critically interpret the barrage of
>     information and misinformation they receive on a daily basis.
>     However, it's also vital that the information be culturally
>     sensitive. For instance, the first time I visited the skeptical
>     health care Web site called Quackwatch, it felt as if I were
>     walking into enemy territory. "Quack" is a very loaded word-it's a
>     fighting word! Though site owner Dr. Stephen Barrett has every
>     right to call his excellent Web site anything he likes, I wonder
>     why it couldn't have been called, for instance, HealthWatch,
>     HealingInfo, DocFacts, or something equally nonthreatening. Why do
>     I have to type the word "quack" when I want a skeptical review of
>     the choices I make in medical care? And why do I have to spend so
>     much time translating on the skeptical sites I visit-or just
>     skipping over words like scam, sham, quack, fraud, dupe, and fool?
>     Why do I (the sort of person who actually needs skeptical
>     information) have to see myself described in offensive terms and
>     bow my head in shame before I can truly access the information
>     available in your culture?

If a comfortable accomodation is to be found in this subject area, we
need to find language that is acceptable.  When you can let go of the
prejudicial language you will probably find an alternatives community
that is far more accomodating to your ideas than you might have
expected.  From reading her article it is evident that the writer had a
level of insights and skill that her spiritual transformation possible.
This is not characteristic of the majority who believe as she did.  If
they feel a need to review their beliefs the kind of welcome that they
normally get from the skeptical community may effectively drive them
back into beliefs that are familiar to them, or into an institution for
the mentally disturbed.

>I take the opposition to the term "pseudoscience" as based
>on the claim that we should not be judging whether particular
>experiments or observations are done scientifically or not.

More or less.  It is not just about "particular" experiments and
observation but about all the experiments and observations, and whether
there are any where good-faith experiments are carried out, and where a
failed experiment will simply cause the experimenter to revise his
hypothesis and plan a new experiment.  That, after all, is what science
is.  Science does not have a 3RR which says that if you continue
experimenting after your third failure you are engaging in
pseudoscience.  Science will take its bad results as a basis for
experimenting further; true pseudoscience will take bad results, and
draw premature conclusions, or worse, ignore the results all together.
As long as there are some practitioners pursuing the scientific method
you cannot fairly extrapolate those selected outcomes to represent the
entire field of study.

>In that, I actually agree.  Wikipedia isn't a judge or critic of
>scientific methodology.  In such cases we should report what was done
>and how the world responded to it.

I agree there, and the closer our source is to the original source the
more believable our reporting will be.

>But I've been talking about fields where there _aren't_ any experiments
>or methodology to report on.  There's just speculation, tradition,
>marketing, or religious pronouncement ... and an adherent claiming that
>the noises of same are "scientific".

Yes there is.  If we can't find any evidence of scientific
experimentation we can say exactly that.  If the adherents make the
kinds of claims that you envision, and there is evidence for that we can
say that too.  But that's still not enough to draw a conclusion from it all.

>I just don't see what's non-neutral about saying that speculation
>doesn't count as science just because someone says it is.  Or that while
>3000-year-old religious tradition is a fine thing, it isn't a form of
>scientific methodology.

At one level "speculation" and "claim" are just synonyms for
"hypothesis"  The 3000 year old tradition predates what we now call the
scientific method, hence the term "ancient science".  It obviously does
not meet today's standards, but they had no way of knowing better.  The
four traditional elements (5 among the Cninese) was as far as they could
go with the tools that they had at the time.  Does the fact that
Aristotle did not supply experimental data with his speculations make
him wrong, or worse unscientific?

>Is it the "pseudo-" prefix, that some people have taken as an imputation
>of criminal fraud?  We could simply say "nonscience" or "not based on
>experiment" or whatever instead.  But I don't think we should fail to
>report the fact that some fields _do_ claim to be "science" for
>political or marketing reasons, even when there's no science around.

It's a matter of fraud and a whole lot of other things that the
alternative community believes to be demeaning.  Maybe it's the word
"science" itself that's problematic.  When you use a word, you use all
its meanings: the ones you intend, the ones you consider to be wrong,
and the ones you never eve heard about.  You have absolutely no control
over haw the reader is going to interpret what you say.  Thus in some of
its older forms, science could be any body of knowledge, not just only a
body that was defined by certain rigid rules and requirements.
Traditionally the "seven liberal sciences" were grammar, logic,
rhetoric, arithmetic, music, geometry and astronomy.  There are also a
number of set phrases which include the word science, many of whioh like
"political science"would not fit a rigid definition of "science".  When
you consider most set phrases in which "science" is qualified by another
word most would not be hard sciences.  "Alternative science" carries
with it the connotation of difference from strict science much better
than "political science".  Some terms like "creation science" can even
be oxymorons.

So I agree too that it's important that we make prominent note the fact
when for whatever reason an area of study deviates from mainstream
science including marketing.  But we need to do that in a more nuanced
way than can possibly be stuffed into a single word in a category.  The
degree to which these topics deviate from mainstream science is just too
wide.

Throughout this debate I have never said that I consider any of these
topics a proven science.  I have always been largely sceptical about
many of them, but without ever losing my fascination.  I read once that
the scientific failure of many of these in general, and astrology in
particular was not in their inability to design and test experimental
models, but in their inability to develop credible hypotheses, i.e. in a
different part of the scientific process  than what is generally
stated.  Even if I believe that there are transient phenomena I do not
feel compelled to build a whole science around them.  I can accepy that
there is not enough information upon which to establish an understanding
of any individual phenomenon.  It would be nice to be able to design an
experiment that reproduces a transient phenomenon, but we don't have
enough information upon which to design that experiment.  Some event
just whooshed by and one is left singing, "Something is happening here
but you don't know what it is,  Do you, Mr. Jones?"

Ec