[WikiEN-l] Original research vs.Fact-checking(Wikipedia:Biographies of living persons)

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 21:29:24 UTC 2005

> If it's a personal email to the Wikipedia Foundation, or to
> our lawyers or something, then that's a different matter. The
> problem is that the Wikimedia Foundation aren't the ones
> putting the facts in the articles. It's if User:RandomName
> puts in a new date of birth and cites at the bottom "Personal
> Correspondence". There's no way we can check if that's true,
> and there's no one to turn to if the article's subject starts
> demanding corrections and accountability.

Definitely. Sorry, I was referring to the case where someone does
contact the foundation, but has no published bio to refer to. Someone
recently (here? On a talk page?) gave the example of themselves, where
their DoB on WP was incorrect, but they couldn't find a published source
to back them up. According to the guidelines, they had no right to
remove it.  If we accept personal correspondance to the foundation as a
verifiable source, then a simple email would suffice.

Steve