[WikiEN-l] A newbie on article prefill templating

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Wed Dec 21 19:27:30 UTC 2005

John Lee wrote:
> MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:

>> I'm not really happy about "Further reading". Not only do some
>> external links show films, or images (which don't require reading), it
>> also fails to take into account that further reading is much thought
>> about with regard to print sources and may lead to people being
>> confused on where to put external links.
>> And that's without mentioning the 800,000 articles that'd need changing.

> Ditto Mgm. I'm not worried about the 800k articles we'd have to change -
> we got through categorising fine, didn't we?

Also, it's eminently bot-suitable. One of the first things Kate did on
en: was run a bot to change "External link", "External Links" and
"External Link" to "External links".

>What I'm concerned about is
> that, as he said, external links != further reading. Maybe we could
> change "further reading" to "other resources"?

Or maybe we could leave it alone! I don't at all see the problem with
"References" and "External links". (And some articles, e.g. [[Xenu]],
actually have "References" and "Sources" and "External links".) I think
the current convention is fine.

- d.