[WikiEN-l] Checkuser for all admins

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 10:58:42 UTC 2005

Sam Fentress (Asbestos) wrote:

> Why not make the checkuser function available to all admins?

Privacy concerns - IPs are hot information. The Foundation is
understandably *really touchy* about this stuff. Anyone who has
checkuser now is known directly to the stewards and/or the ACs as
someone who takes this stuff seriously; adding anyone else will be a
slow process.

This is not a strike on anyone who hasn't been picked - it's just
justifiable paranoia :-)

The other matters are finding people with enough technical knowledge
of the funny little ways of the Internet (though that's easy because
we have lots of those) *and* enough about the funny little ways of
good and bad editors on the wikis (a little harder, but we have lots
of those too).

I think we have enough checkers on en: right now. Kelly Martin's been
doing a lot of it of late, taking a great deal of the load off me, so
I'm coping better with the requests I've got!

(I'm considering going active on the AC again for the last two weeks
of the year to help clean up, but don't know WHERE I'm going to get
the time ... the holiday season has been absolutely batshit crazy so
far.)

I trust all our admins to a large extent - you don't get through RFA
without having some sense and judgement - but not *that* much.

- d.