[WikiEN-l] Checkuser for all admins

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 04:28:12 UTC 2005

On 12/20/05, Sam Fentress (Asbestos) <asbestos999 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This may have been discussed before. If so, apologies.
>
> Why not make the checkuser function available to all admins? There are
> constant allegations of sockpuppetry, and I'm sure there are plenty of cases
> of ballot-stuffing or fake-consensus-building which go unnoticed because
> someone's suspicions weren't enough to both a developer with. Having the
> function available to all admins would cut down on a lot of this
> underhandedness.

Do you really trust all admins that much?

> If there is a problem concerning privacy, such as making IP addresses
> available (I'm not sure exactly what the checkuser funcion shows), when
> couldn't it be modified  to only show which users have been created by the
> same IP (i.e., put in a name, and it shows you the other users)

I use CheckUser on a regular basis, and to be honest this would be
insufficient to make effective use of the CheckUser tool.

We have six editors with CheckUser rights on en (not including
stewards and developers); if more are needed the Arbitration Committee
may choose to extend CheckUser rights to additional parties.  Until
such time as the ArbCom is convinced of the need, it'll stay at six.

Kelly