[WikiEN-l] Improper block redux

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 19 14:53:51 UTC 2005

>From: Brock Batsell <wikipedia at theskeptik.com>
>
>However, I do NOT feel that it was appropriate for a single administrator
>to block a user for four months (in fact, I couldn't find any justification
>for blocking for WP:PA unless it places another user in danger — I think we
>can all agree that is not the case here). That type of block is, in my
>opinion, pretty clearly meant to only be handed down by the ArbCom. The
>WP:BP makes provisions for if a user's block is agreed to by consensus, but
>that is clearly not the case here, since Karmafist re-blocked Kurt even
>after he was unblocked by an admin uninvolved with the conflict.

[[Wikipedia:Blocking_policy#Disruption]]:

"Sysops may, at their judgement, block IP addresses or usernames that
disrupt the normal functioning of Wikipedia. Such disruption may include
changing other users' signed comments, making deliberately misleading edits,
and excessive personal attacks. Users should be warned before they are
blocked. For dynamic IPs, such blocks should last 24 hours. For static IPs
and user names, such blocks should initially last 24 hours, but repeat
violators may be blocked for a maximum of one month."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Blocking_policy#Disruption

Jay.