[WikiEN-l] I just did another interview - Dublin NewsRadio 106, 2:20pm.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 14:47:57 UTC 2005

Done at forty minutes' notice, courtesy of an email from Danny - sorry
I didn't have time to let Irish readers of wikien-l know. I did the
interview on my mobile in a stairwell, so it probably sounded like
sh*te ...

* Started with what we want to produce; I talked about the de: DVD, in
its 3rd edition, and how we want to do that with en:.
* Then issues of bios, defamation and Seigenthaler; I said that we
catch errors when we spot them, but we've lately been working on
actively fact-checking biographies of living people.
* We can't keep a certain noise level of rubbish out, but we have lots
of people who want to do good.
* They crossed to Michael Earl who wrote the FT piece. He said how
he'd edited the piece on his college to fix an error.
* I said we want to put an encyclopedia in every schoolroom in Africa,
paper or DVD, maybe on $100 laptops.
* I finished that we're not a finished product but pretty good if you
read critically.

It seemed to go nicely. I acknowledged a weakness, that we had stuff
to fix on living people's bios, the rest was a big ad for Wikipedia.

And apparently I'm the UK Editor of Wikipedia. I didn't know I made
*that* many edits ...

I'm now really hoping someone captured the audio stream, or that it's
retrievable at a later date!

 -d.