[WikiEN-l] Improper block redux

Brock Batsell wikipedia at theskeptik.com
Mon Dec 19 06:57:24 UTC 2005

Kurt Maxwell Weber wrote:

>As I see it, there are two questions that need to be settled here:
>1) Is it acceptable to refer to people who actually are vandals as such?
>2) If so, then are deletionists vandals?

1) is obviously true. 2) depends entirely on your definition of
"deletionists". I visited AN/I to see the basis for Karmafist's block
and checked the diffs provided. All of them were to AfDs, were "block"
messages (the same message copied/pasted from page to page), and clearly
were not made with respect to the actual content of the article, but
were made in order to make a WP:POINT. Nominating articles for deletion
because they don't meet the long-established guidelines of WP for
notability does NOT make someone a deletionist, nor a vandal. It makes
them attentive editors who pay attention to the guidelines. A
deletionist, in my book, is someone who deletes content that is
informative and helpful, and meets WP guidelines, for the sake of making
a point or otherwise - as such, what they advocate is as bad as what
you're doing at the moment. I strongly urge you to take a step back. The
purpose of AfD is not to allow editors to make a point, but to analyze
each article's content and its meeting of Wikipedia's guidelines. If it
does not meet them, it should be removed until it CAN meet WP's guidelines.

However, I do NOT feel that it was appropriate for a single
administrator to block a user for four months (in fact, I couldn't find
any justification for blocking for WP:PA unless it places another user
in danger — I think we can all agree that is not the case here). That
type of block is, in my opinion, pretty clearly meant to only be handed
down by the ArbCom. The WP:BP makes provisions for if a user's block is
agreed to by consensus, but that is clearly not the case here, since
Karmafist re-blocked Kurt even after he was unblocked by an admin
uninvolved with the conflict.

Regards,
[[User:Bbatsell]]