[WikiEN-l] Improper block

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sun Dec 18 10:22:32 UTC 2005

Kelly Martin wrote:
> On 12/17/05, Kurt Maxwell Weber <kmw at armory.com> wrote:

>>Yesterday, I was blocked for four months by karmafist for using the phrase
>>"deletionist vandals" on a few AfD entries.  He has blocked me in the past
>>for the same thing, and has told me that he would block me in the future if I
>>did it again (I did, and he did); however, he has not demonstrated that use
>>of the phrase "deletionist vandals" is a blockable offense (he claims that it
>>is a violation of NPA, a claim I dispute; for an explanation, see
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Kmweber#Block_Notice_Regarding_AFD_behavior).

> That you were blocked is not a misjustice.  I question whether four
> months was a reasonable time, however.  If Delirium hadn't already
> unblocked you, I would have shortened your block to one week.  Since
> I'm a nice woman, I won't reblock you.

Although Kurt is IME notoriously hard-of-clue in these matters, short
sharp 12-to-24-hour blocks (applied like a cattle prod) have worked well
in similar cases to impart a working simulation of clue, at least on the
"don't do that or it'll hurt" level. It's short enough to be felt but
not long enough to give up hope. Kurt is not actually stupid and he
knows lots about lots of stuff, but his level of social interaction
needs raising; it would be a good thing for him to be on Wikipedia if he
can stop with the bad interactions.

- d.